After a lot of research, I wrote my post “How to use Microwave Oven“. Microwave refers a form of electromagnetic energy having a frequency higher than 1 Gigahertz(billions of cycles per seconds) and a wavelength shorter than 30 centimeters. The part of electromagnetic associated with the large infrared and short radio waves.It is generated by a device called magnetron and it is behind the perforated metal grid on the right-hand side. If the grid is peered, the horizontal cooling fins will be seen on the magnetron which looks like metal plates. It has a turntable. The back of the door is covered with a protective metal gauze.
Microwaves are an essential part of the modern kitchen due to their ability to quickly and easily heat food and drink.
How does radiation work in a microwave and works:
A microwave oven heats and cooks food by exposing microwave radiation and electromagnetic radiation.
- When we start cooking, the magnetron takes electricity from the power outlet converts it into high-powered, 12 cm (4.7 inches) radio waves.
- The magnetron blasts the waves into the food compartment through a channel called a wave guide.
- The food sits on a turntable, spinning slowly round. In this way, microwaves can cook it evenly.
- When the microwave can reach the food itself, they do not simply bounce off. Just a radio waves can pass straight through the walls of your house, so the microwave can penetrate inside the food. As they travel through it, they make the molecules inside it vibrate more quickly.
- For the quick vibrate the food become hotter. Thus the microwave passes their energy into the molecules in the food and rapidly heating it up.
Microwave safe containers:
- Heatproof glass like Pyrex is best to use in a Microwave because it is transparent and it will not crack or break from the heating of liquids and food.
- Heatproof ceramic containers
- Food grade plastic containers labeled as microwave safe so it is suitable to use.
Risky to use in Microwave:
- One time plastic storage container like take-out containers, margarine tubs
- Metal container
- Plates with metallic trim can cause sparks.
- Yogurt containers
- Foam insulate cups, bowls, plates, trays
- Travel mugs
- Aluminum foil makes a fire in the microwave. so avoid it.
- Brown paper bags from the grocery store can make a fire in the oven.
Mistakes in using Microwave:
- Microwaving in one time plastic containers which contain chemical which may leach into food when it is heated.
- Microwaving metal(including with gold or silver edge utensils, tin foil, stainless steel utensils etc.) The metal attracts microwave energy, causing enough heat to start a fire.
- Covering the dish with plastic wrap
- Pushing the wrong button especially when making baked potatoes or popcorn.
- Cooking foods that are not food.as a result, a potential fire hazard.
- Using brown paper bags and metal containers
- Using microwave with a damaged cord which could spark or shock.
- Getting in hot water could burn your hand.
- The oven used for food preparation must be cleaned on a regular basis to prevent biological contamination, fire and door seal damage.
- Do not use aluminum foil or any metal containers.
- Laboratory applications cannot be used for food preparation.
- Do not heat objects that are sealed as they may explode, damaging and blowing off the door.
- Be careful when removing containers.
- Do not use a microwave with a damaged cord. Strongly suggesting you to contact with a repair technician when conducting any microwave oven repair.
- If the fire starts inside the oven, leave the door closed and disconnect the power cord.
- Do not leave the kitchen while you are cooking.
- Never remove hot foods from the microwave.
- Do not operate the microwave oven if there are no food items inside the oven.
- Do not put dry cloths, newspaper or other paper products in the microwave.
Safe cooking temperature:
All food products containing raw animal foods such as eggs, fish, meat, poultry or the combination of these items must be sufficiently cooked until all potentially hazardous germs are destroyed. The minimum internal temperature in which pathogens are destroyed depends upon the type of food being cooked. To ensure that the cooked food are safe for human consumption, use the following chart to determine. Use the food thermometer to check the internal temperature of the food before serving.
Food Item Minimum Temperature:
- Fruits and vegetables -135ºF
- Beef and pork roasts, beef steaks, veal, lamb -145ºF
- Egg, fish, pork, ham and bacon -145ºF
- Ground or flake meats including hamburger – 155ºF
- Poultry and poultry products, stuff meats – 165ºF
- Stuffed fish – 165ºF
The danger in high temperature:
- In high temperature, closed containers, such as eggs, can explode.
- Insulating plastic foams generally contain closed air pockets and are generally not recommended for use in a microwave because the air pockets can explode and the foam (which can be toxic) may melt.
- Products heated for too long time can catch fire.
- Take care when boiling water in the microwave, because it can be super heated and possibly explode.
- The rapid cooking unattended nature of the microwave oven results in an additional hazard.
Mistakes we do in using the microwave:
- Sometimes we use traditional metal cookware in our microwave.
- Try recipes that require a lot of water, such as pasta.
- Sometimes we cover dishes. As a result, it can make hazard.
Keep kids safe around microwave:
- Follow the instruction manual for the operating procedures and keep safety precautions.
- Make sure young children cannot reach the microwave.
- A microwave can pose potential risks for children such as burns. Never leave a young child alone while food is cooking in the microwave.
Cooking in the microwave is unlike any kind of conventional cooking. You should follow a different set of microwave-specific cooking rules otherwise accident can occur.
Are you want to know about Microwave Oven? Fill free to read details from Wikipedia. Click Here